FINDINGS AND OBSERVATIONS
- A hotter earth is already causing widespread damage and death.
- Unless measures are taken, the next 20 years will see explosive growth in every major climate impact.
- Most impacts are highly concentrated especially on children and the poor.
- Almost every country has high vulnerability to one major climate impact.
- Much damage caused by climate change is still readily preventable.
- Low human development increases vulnerability to climate change while climate change threatens key development goals.
- Tackling climate change is a major opportunity.
- Danger is present. Responses are cost-effective. Inaction is unconscionable.
- Immediately reinforce responses to major climate-sensitive health concerns: malnutrition, diarrheal infections, and malaria.
- Reinforce national plans to limit climate impacts.
- Expand human and gender development efforts in most-vulnerable countries.
- Invest in filling urgent research gaps.
- Widely disseminate the Climate Vulnerability Monitor’s findings.
Climate Vulnerability Monitor findings and recommendations