DARA, an organisation committed to improving humanitarian response and development through better evaluation, is looking for someone with a mixed profile of a Researcher/Evaluator to provide the organisation with research and methodological support. You will work in a fast-paced environment on a variety of tasks related to evaluations in the humanitarian sector as well as providing general research and project management support to the organisation.
Functions and responsibilities
The researcher works across 2 key areas within the organisation – Evaluations and Research with a variety of tasks such as:
- Drafting of technical components for evaluation proposals : research and analysis, approach, analytical framework, methodology, tools required;
- Ensuring evaluation proposals comply with specified guidelines and standards;
- Quality control, editing and formatting of evaluation reports to ensure adherence to commonly accepted evaluation standards;
- Providing support to evaluation teams with research, analysis and report preparation;
- Drafting of working papers, presentations, analysis and concept papers;
- Editing and translating documents /reports when required;
- Supporting quality control of reports and other documents and/or activities whenever required;
- Building evaluation teams and supporting development of evaluation experts’ roster;
- Participating in evaluation seminars whenever necessary (for networking purposes and for strengthening knowledge of evaluation issues);
- Contributing to the preparation of missions and backstopping from head office to the team working in the field.
Required competencies and skills
- Strong analytical and drafting skills, with the ability to quickly grasp and synthesise information;
- Master’s degree /PhD student in international relations, humanitarian aid or other relevant field;
- Previous experience developing technical components of evaluation proposals and reports, including methodology, approach, analytical framework;
- Knowledge of evaluation guidelines and standards
- Excellent editing and formatting skills in English;
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Good presentation skills
- At least 5 years’ experience in the evaluation sector; including at least 2 years of experience in the humanitarian sector;
- Ability to work interactively with a team, often responding to varying requests under pressure;
- Facility with using data analysis software;
- Flexibility to assist with a variety of tasks based on current needs;
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Demonstrated understanding of, and identification with, DARA´s purpose and values;
- Must have native/ fluent level of English as the vast majority of work is conducted in English;
- French and good command of Spanish would be considered an asset.
- Translating experience would be considered an asset.
What we offer
- 6 month contract with the possibility of extension;
- Immediate incorporation into a multicultural, professional and innovative organisation;
- Professional career adapted to you where talent and motivation are recognized;
- Offices in the Madrid city centre with potential temporary field missions;
- Belonging to an exciting organisation with an international scope that supports the mission to improve humanitarian action;
- Personal and professional balance program including flexible working hours;
- A salary commensurate to the level of experience and responsibility;
- 25 days of annual leave(proportional to the time worked) and Madrid public holidays;
The position offered is based in Madrid, candidates are required to have the right to work in Spain.
How to apply
For further information on this vacancy please contact Ana Rodríguez, Operations Manager email@example.com. To submit an application (CV and short cover letter, including three references) please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 4th 2019 indicating “Researcher /Evaluator” in the subject line.
DARA welcomes all indications of interest.
Due to limited resources, we will contact only the shortlisted candidates.